Minutes for UCL Proton Calorimetry Meeting, 22nd February 2017 (D17, Physics & Astronomy, UCL)
Simon Jolly, Anastasia Basharina-Freshville, Laurent Kelleter, Adam Knoetze, Matthieu Hentz
MSci reports due 27th March.
- Working with pulser and LED.
- Running LED pulser with regular pulse shape and spacing.
- Seeing drops in ADC spectrum peak position from 7400 at 100Hz to 6400 at 5kHz.
- During MedAustron visit will take data using detector emulator.
- Testing LED pulser to check whether variation in gain comes from LED or PMT.
- After MedAustron will retest with super-stable SuperNEMO LEDs.
- Taking signal from last dynode rather than anode to avoid final gain stage (~3.5) and saturation.
- Long scintillator bars arrived from Nuvia:
- Wrapped in mylar only to reduce amount of internal reflections.
- Energy resolution worse: ~11% at 1MeV.
- Preparing for MedAustron: MH and LK will prepare cables...
- Housing needs modifying to fit long scintillator bar: need to make sure its light tight in case room lights cannot be switched off. LK suggests using a cardboard box...
- Still no response from Clatterbridge and Carsten Welsch on PDFs of layout: SJ will chase it up.
- Simulations of Clatterbridge beamline:
- Tracking emittance evolution.
- Initial beam parameters very large. Will use values from Hywel Owen:
- σx = 4mm
- σy = 4.5mm
- σx' = 2.03mrad
- σy' = 1.2mrad
- Some particles seem to pass through metal shielding: LK suggests checking 3-dimensional structure of beamline.
- Beamline support needs adding.
- Fitting curve to photon yield to check Bragg curve.
- Fit not yet perfect: still using an approximation.
List of equipment for MedAustron
- 2 PMTs + 1 base
- DAQ laptop
- HV unit
- Scintillator bars
- Signal cables
- HV cables