Minutes for UCL Proton Calorimetry Meeting, 31st May 2017 (D17, Physics & Astronomy, UCL)
Simon Jolly, Laurent Kelleter, Anastasia Basharina-Freshville, Jordan Silverman, Dan Walker
- Spoken to Samer Al-Kilani about splitter issues:
- Splitter probably not the problem: likely to be cables.
- Direct limo-to-MCX connector for splitter.
- SJ will contact Izzat Darwazeh.
- ABF will look into requirement and spec for active splitter.
- Looking into photodiode readout: not sure how to read out photodiode pre-amp.
- Incorporating LK's hadronic effects into simulations: LK may be using an older Geant4 Physics List, so ABF's simulations may already include them.
- Met Nuvia on Monday:
- Discussed all requirements, including flatness tolerances.
- Will provide 1 x 10 x 10 cm sample sheets.
- Inclusion of nuclear build-up in Bragg fit:
- Energy deposition from hadronic secondaries looks like an ellipse.
- Including this shape in Bortfeld function doesn't give accurate fit: Bortfeld function includes some of this energy deposition already...
- Subtracting quarter-ellipse gives much better fit to build-up region.
- Better results with photon emission fit using full ellipse subtraction.
- However, range-energy conversion does not work when hadronic effects included: range only correct when considering strict Bortfeld electron interactions.
- Plan to fit to build-up but stick with Bortfeld for E-R conversion.