Minutes for UCL Proton Calorimetry Meeting, 22nd November 2017 (D17, Physics & Astronomy, UCL)
Simon Jolly, Laurent Kelleter, Anastasia Basharina-Freshville, Jordan Silverman, Dan Walker, Matthieu Hentz
- Spoke to Ruben Saakyan about Nuvia sheets:
- Ruben visiting Prague in the next few weeks.
- Waiting for Nuvia to determine whether they can do 2 mm sheets.
- Spoke to Hamamatsu about flat panel detectors:
- Contact person might be called Simon...
- Preferred detector 50x50 mm version: will check the differences.
- Working on fitting to single module spectrum:
- Issues with fitting in ROOT: version dependent...
- Now fitting to tail as well as peak, but transition still needs work.
- Will add in exponential term to 'join' two parts of fit.
- Spoke to Glen Cowan at RHUL on ROOT curve fitting:
- Suggested to add in another convolution;
- If that doesn't work, try doing piecewise fit.
- Will prototype in Python before moving over to ROOT.
- Very close to finishing off producing spectra from Lecroy binary files.
- Will then move on to curve fitting...
- Running Clatterbridge simulations with changes in nozzle cap angle:
- Very little difference in spectra.
- OMA Monte Carlo school indicated overlap in geometry boundaries may be a problem...
- Changed how particles recorded from stepping action to sensitive detector.
- Given up on installing Geant4 on MacBook Pro: will switch over to piss poor Lenovo CDT laptop:
- SJ will ask Tim Scanlon about swapping for a machine with more horsepower.
- Discussing build-up paper with Adam Gibson:
- Simplified definition of build-up to be based on Bragg curve.
- Understanding more about the physics!
- Reran simulations at higher energies: absorber too small.
- Will contact various OMA colleagues to understand origin of high entrance dose for protons above 200 MeV.