Minutes for UCL Proton Calorimetry Meetings, 12th August
Simon Jolly, Saad Shaikh, Raffaella Radogna, Fern Pannell
- Added a common-clock FIFO between DDC232 data and UART transmitter.
- Should be relatively easy to allow another clock domain to access FIFO.
- Currently only one measurement allowed in FIFO at a time.
- Use of FIFO allows for shortest possible integration times: new data is always read by FPGA but only sent to FIFO once last sent measurement has finished transmitting.
- Next step is to instantiate processor and send data over Zybo's built-in UART interface.
- Will probably be slower than current UART interface, but good stepping-stone to learn how to use processor before working on USB interface.
- Using processor is quite different to development so far: learning curve.
- CoolTerm allows for serial port emulation on MacOS, with capacity to save time-stamped data to txt file.
- Wrote ROOT macro to read, convert and plot photodiode data live while CoolTerm saves data.
- Only achieving 5Hz refresh rate, unsure how to make faster.