Minutes for UCL Proton Calorimetry Meetings, 11th May
Saad Shaikh, Simon Jolly, Raffaella Radogna
- Completed LED lab tests with unpainted sheets and white paper, black card and mylar foil. Results presented in this presentation.
- Mylar foil provides best combination of large signal and minimum cross-talk.
- Still observe around 5% crosstalk, due to light leaking around edges of sheet.
- Optical gel increases signal level by 20-30% without increasing cross-talk.
- White painted sheets 10-20 times dimmer than unpainted sheets – optical gel may not be necessary at all.
- Should perform test again with black stack holder before and after spray-painting black.
- Nexys Video board died during LED tests with Rev. C boards. Unclear cause of issue and Rev. C boards now give incorrect configuration pattern when using new Nexys Video board.
- Asked Matt Warren to look at Nexys Video board and will investigate Rev. C issues further.
- Spoke with Ruben about measuring Birks constant. Tests possible with proton beam at UCLH and with alpha particles and electrons at UCL.
- Need to discuss further – but work could make for a good MSci project.
- Will prepare talks/posters for CALOR and Elba conference.