Minutes for UCL Proton Calorimetry Meetings, 17th February
Simon Jolly, Saad Shaikh, Fern Pannell
- FTDI script now writes raw data to single file (opening and closing file once) and performs 50Hz rolling average, updating single file .csv file with averaged values in pC.
- Plotting and fitting routines now much simpler as they just need to access .csv file as fast as possible, with no hex to decimal conversion required.
- Slowest part of FTDI scipt is the conversion of each acquisition to decimal for rolling average (roughly 185us instead of 170us). Will investigate if this can be parallelised, though performance gains are small considering that 5 modules will require minimum integration time of roughly 181us. The processing of the extra module's data will increase the conversion time.
- Photodiode charge uncertainty could be calculated from the standard deviation of the 50Hz average.
- Installed Bootcamp on personal laptop with Vivado etc.
- Next major step is to investigate non-ROOT-based fit.
- Will work on HEP summer school poster and problem sheet.
- Created a second version of the Java dummy data writer that writes two 16 element arrays to the CSV file (one on each line).
- Inside the frontendDisplay package.
- README added to explain difference in Java dummy data writer files.
- Second line is a scaled version of the first line (each element in line 2 is randomly scaled with the corresponding element in line 1)
- Line 1: Photodiode bars
- Line 2: Overlaid curve
- README file added to pannell subfolder within PDdisplay to explain the chaos. Also started archiving older versions of the GUI.
- Create a static CSV, first line 16 values (PD bars), second line (and third) >>16 values (curve data).
- Plot and fix any inevitable scaling issues with the x-axis values.
- Successfully displaying the static CSV data should mean the GUI will work for real, updating, high-precision, fit data.
- Work on the GUI buttons.
- Start button needs to become a Restart button once clicked.
- Buttons to add curve data to the display should appear when Start is clicked (add this functionality later, tricky).
- Meet with Saad to sort FTDI on Pi.
- Imperial interview complete.
- Meeting with Manjit on 18th for second catch up regarding Particle Therapy PhD at Oxford.
- Awaiting interview invitations from UCL and Birmingham.