Summer Student Opportunities
Brian Duff Summer Internship
The HEP group at the Department of Physics and Astronomy are offering three studentships to undergraduates interested in pursuing research projects over the summer. The key aims of the studentships are to give motivated undergraduates the opportunity to work on a research project, gain experience developing and writing a research proposal and presenting their research to their peers.
Please state in your application if you are applying for an online-project or an on-campus project. Please note that on-campus projects may be restricted in the summer depending on governmental guidelines in response to the pandemic. Students submitting on-campus projects can also submit an alternative online-project in the same application should the on-campus projects not be possible.
Deadline for applications is 09:00, 18th April 2022. General enquiries should be directed to Group Adminitrator Shanice Thomas.
- Applicants should be undergraduates in the department of Physics and Astronomy or UCL Natural Sciences undergraduates with Physics as main stream.
- The main supervisor of the project must be a current academic in the department of Physics and Astronomy.
- Students will be provided a bursary of £2000 during the studentship and are expected to work on the summer project for a total duration of 8–10 weeks.
- The student should contact the prospective supervisor ahead of time and the student and supervisor should develop the project and application together.
- Proposals should be in the form of a one-page motivation letter highlighting why the student is interested in the programme, a 1-side A4 case for support describing the proposed project, and a 1-side A4 CV of the student.
- The case for support should include the name and research group (HEP or AMOPP) of the supervisor, the name and student number of the student, the student's fee status, and the proposed duration of the project.
- Deadline for applications is 09:00, 18th April. Proposal and CV should be combined into one PDF document and emailed to Shanice Thomas.
- Successful applicants will be notified in May.
UCL HEP Voluntary Research Work
If you are interested in voluntary research work within the UCL HEP group then please contact Shanice Thomas with a copy of your CV and a brief outline of why you are interested in particle physics research and what you'd like to do. We can only take 5-10 students per year and we will let you know if you've been selected in mid April. A few common questions about the voluntary work are answered here.
Summer Student Programmes at National Labs
The two major European Laboratories for Particle Physics, CERN and DESY, and the leading US particle physics laboratory, FNAL, offer very attractive Summer Student programmes for 3rd or 4th year undergraduate students of Physics or related subjects (such as Computing, Elec. Engineering etc). These are unique opportunities to get a first hand experience of how research is conducted at an international scale.
The deadline for applications to the CERN summer school is generally at the end of January and further details are available from the CERN website.
The deadline for applications to the DESY is at the end of January and further details are available from the DESY summer students page.
The particle physics group at RAL also runs a summer student programme, details can be found here: the deadline for applications is usually in February.
Faculty Scholarship Schemes
The MAPS faculty offers opportunities and funding for students to work with a research group over the summer. Further information can be found on Moodle: MAPS Summer Research Internships. The student application deadline is Friday 18th March 2022.